OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
We are looking for results-oriented, driven individuals with a thirst for problem solving.
connect with us: azdeq.gov LinkedIn
Environmental Science Specialist 1 - 3
AIR QUALITY DIVISION
At ADEQ we believe in leveraging the power of continuous improvement. It's how we learn, how we work, and how we bring our ideas to fruition. We never stop asking why. That's how we accomplish our important mission of protecting and enhancing public health and the environment of Arizona. Our vision is to be the number one state in the nation in balanced, leading-edge environmental protection; technical and operational excellence; and radical simplicity for customers and staff.
ADEQ is considered by many as a model agency in the Governor's initiative to transform the traditional enterprise of state government. Utilizing private-sector Lean methodologies, ADEQ has honed a management philosophy that aligns with today's pace of change. Operating at the speed of business, we are now innovative, forward thinking and more efficient than ever before. We are striving to evolve further, every day, and to have meaningful and continuous impact that drives more environmental Mission work for the citizens and the future of this great state.
We are looking for committed and engaged employees to help drive our agency towards accomplishing this vision. Do you think you have the combination of passion, technical and creative knowledge, skills and abilities to help drive this agency to our vision? If so, apply today!
The Air Quality State Implementation Plan ESS position is responsible for drafting State Implementation Plans (SIPs), including pollutant-specific nonattainment area, infrastructure, and rule-based plans, as well as other regulatory required reports, to be submitted to the U.S. EPA.
* Develop SIPs using accurate air quality data, control analysis methodologies, and technical modeling demonstrations.
* Conduct complex policy analyses referring to case law, other states' air quality regulations, and EPA guidance to develop and write state regulations for the control of air pollution.
* Coordinate and host public meetings, hearings, and presentations for the regulated community and general public with the objective of achieving measurable pollution reduction.
* Collaborate with other Air Quality Sections, including air quality data assessment and monitoring team, permits, and compliance, to ensure SIPs contain accurate data, applicable regulations, and compliance methodologies.
* Bachelor's degree in law, environmental/civil/chemical engineering, Environmental science/resource management/studies, sustainability or earth science
* Level 1 - Requires 0-1 experience.
* Level 2 - Requires 2 years' experience. Professional \"in-training\" Certification preferred if available through the Arizona Board of Technical Registration or an equivalent organization in a reciprocal jurisdiction.
* Level 3 - Requires 5 years' experience(Master's degree in related field can substitute for 2 years' experience, and doctorate in related field can substitute for 4 years' experience). Professional registration through the Arizona Board of Technical Registration or an equivalent organization in a reciprocal jurisdiction required if available. If not available, professional certification through an accredited institution is required.
* Knowledge of Agency policies and processes, State and Federal environmental regulations, environmental sciences and research, AZ sources of pollution, best practices for preventing the release of pollutants, environmental research, investigation techniques and statistical analysis
* Ability to understand and apply environmental rules and statues; to follow guidance documents, standard operating procedures, and other technical instructions in performance of tasks; to prepare clear, concise and accurate reports; and to summarize completed tasks and/or monitoring data orally and in written communication
Among the many benefits of a career with the State of Arizona, there are:
* 10 paid holidays per year
* Accrual of sick and annual leave beginning at 12 and 13 days per year respectively for full-time employees
* A top-ranked retirement program with lifetime pension benefits
* A robust and affordable insurance plan to include medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability
* An incentivized commuter club and public transportation subsidy program
* We promote the importance of work/life balance by offering workplace flexibility
* We offer a variety of learning and career development opportunities
Click APPLY to submit your resume
Arizona State Government is an EEO/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. All newly hired employees will be subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
Having trouble applying for this position? Email [email protected] or call 602-###-#### for assistance.
Associated topics: agrosciences, air monitoring, bioassay, climate, ecology, environment, epa, field, water, water monitoring